Christmas is the time of year to bake all your favorite holiday treats, like the perfect gingerbread man cookie.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Royal Icing, for decorating
- Assorted sprinkles, for decorating
- Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, and molasses. Stir in the egg until completely incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. With a heavy spoon, stir the dry mixture into the molasses mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half, and pat each half into a thick rectangle. Wrap tightly in cellophane, and refrigerate for about one hour.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Working with one dough rectangle at a time, roll the dough between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick, flouring the dough and rolling pin if it starts to stick.
- Cut out shapes with a floured gingerbread man cookie cutter, re-rolling the scraps only once.
- Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet pans. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place trays in the oven and bake just until they’re slightly puffed and lightly browned around the edges, 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the pans for several minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- Decorate as you wish and serve!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Christmas, gingerbread men, cookies, holiday baking, molasses