There’s one thing that makes any cookie better, and it’s the star of Grandma’s Brown Butter Cookies. These soft baked treats will melt in your mouth.
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2/3 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup blanched whole almonds
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat until it browns, about 5-7 minutes. Watch the pan carefully, and swirl occasionally. When the butter is browned and emits a nutty aroma, remove from heat.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in sugar and vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat in flour and baking powder with an electric handheld mixer on medium speed to make a smooth dough. Roll spoonfuls of the dough into marble-sized balls and put them 1 inch apart on a parchment paper or Silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Press each ball down slightly with the tines of a fork, and top with half of a blanched almond each. Chill in the refrigerator for 25 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of chilling, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and cookies are cooked through. Remove them from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 27 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: holiday baking, cookie, brown butter, almond