An easy pastry-like batter with a slow cooked pear filling make these into something extra special. A blend of a cookie and and a tartelette, a delicious combination now matter what you call them.
- For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 2 pears, peeled and diced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- juice from 1/2 lemon
For the Dough:
- Pre- heat oven to 350°.
- On a flat surface add together flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg and yolk, baking powder, sugar, vanilla and butter. Work the ingredients together quickly to form a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
For the Filling:
- While the dough is in the fridge, add the diced pears, lemon juice and water to a small to medium sized pot.
- Cook on low, stirring occasionally, until the pears become soft and the liquid has evaporated (make sure they don’t turn burn). Remove from heat, add the sugar, and mix well.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, knead a couple of times and then roll out about half the dough into about a 1/8″ sheet.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes. Place cut out flowers on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- In the middle of each cookie place a teaspoon full of filling and top with second cookie.
- Use your fingers to pinch the sides of the cookies closed. Dipping finger tips in water helps to seal. Continue until all cut outs are complete, then repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes. Let cool completely and dust with plenty of powdered sugar.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: pear, cookies, Italian