Gluten-free lemon almond coconut macaroons are tasty morsels with a crisp crust, soft interior, and bright flavor.
- 1/2 cup egg whites (from 4 large eggs)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup blanched fine almond flour
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, salt, and honey. Over low heat on the stovetop, whisk continually until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is just warmed, but not hot, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded coconut and almond flour. Using a sturdy spoon, stir the mixture over low heat for a few more minutes until it cooks enough to form a very thick batter, and a thin film sticks on the bottom of the pan. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat. Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond extract. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Form the dough into small, 1-inch balls in your hands or with a small ice cream or cookie scoop, squeezing the dough gently to press it together. Space them evenly on the baking sheet, 6 across and 5 down.
- Bake until the crust is a light golden color, about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: gluten-free, coconut, macaroon, lemon, almond flour