Buttery, nutty, and crisp, our spiced almond wafer cookies are perfect for autumn, with a warm drink. You’ll fall in love with every bite you take.
- 3 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz or 1/2 cup), room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, coconut oil, and both sugars on medium speed for 4 minutes. The mixture will be a little liquidy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the almond or vanilla extract.
- On low speed, add the dry mixture to the wet, until a thick but very soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into two pieces, flatten them into circles, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until chilled and hardened.
- When you’re ready to work with the dough, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Work with one dough circle at a time. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness, using more flour to dust as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut shapes out like you would with sugar cookies and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Top each cookie with a few almonds. Place the baking sheets in the fridge for 10 minutes to re-chill the dough before baking.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, in batches if necessary, until they’re lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove promptly from the oven, and let cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: autumn, wafer cookie, almond, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, spelt flour