It’s the most wonderful time of the year, especially with a plate of tri-color einkorn Christmas cookies made with natural food coloring.
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose einkorn flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled, cubed butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 tablespoon beet juice
- 3 tablespoons organic granulated sugar or turbinado sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 2 cups of einkorn flour with the cornstarch, and sea salt. Add the cubed butter and mix at low speed until there are small, pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the mixture. Add the honey and the egg yolks. Mix at low speed until a dough forms.
- With your hands, shape the dough into a ball. Divide the dough equally into 3 small discs. Cover with plastic wrap until you need it. You will work with one at a time.
- In the same bowl of the stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or kneading with your hands), mix the turmeric into one of the discs of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside on the counter as you work with the remaining discs.
- Repeat the mixing process with the second disc of dough and the matcha powder.
- Repeat the mixing process with the third disc of dough and the beet juice, adding an additional tablespoon of flour so the dough isn’t too soft from the additional liquid.
- On a clean, flat surface, roll out each disc into logs that are about 12 1/2 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Place one log on a large cutting board. With a pastry brush, brush a very thin layer of egg white on the side of one of the logs. Gently press the side of a second log into the side of the log that is coated with egg white. Brush a very thin layer of egg white on the top of both logs. Gently press the third log on top of the other two logs, creating a triangular shape. Re-shape the logs if necessary to maintain their round shapes. Cover the dough in plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 1-2 hours, until very cold and completely firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two clean baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place on the prepared baking sheets with some space in between each, and return to the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the cookies with the sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: einkorn flour, turmeric, matcha powder, beet juice, Christmas, cookie