Had enough of brunch and brinner? Move on to dessert. Bake these pancake cupcakes with maple syrup frosting and crumbled bacon.
For the Cupcakes:
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
For the Frosting and Garnish:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, plus more if using as garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy, then crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 tiny cubes
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners, then spray the liners with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and lightly mix together with a spatula until all ingredients are moist. Do not overmix. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Transfer about 1 cup of the batter to a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of milk a little at a time until a liquidy pancake batter forms. You may not need to use all of the milk. Set aside.
- Divide the remaining batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are puffed and firm to the touch. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, place a skillet over medium heat. Grease the skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Using the reserved batter, make 36 very small pancakes, a little smaller than the top of the cupcakes in diameter. Set aside for the final garnish.
To Make the Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the softened butter on medium speed until it is smooth, with no lumps.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar in a separate bowl. Add one cup at a time to the butter, beating very well after each addition.
- Add the maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and salt. Mix on medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting over each cooled cupcake. Top with a stack of three mini pancakes, a cube of butter, syrup, and a sprinkle of crumbled bacon. Serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: cupcake, dessert, pancakes, maple syrup, frosting, bacon, kid-friendly recipes