Craving a decadent indulgence? You have to make budino al cioccolato. Also known as Italian chocolate pudding, this stovetop dessert is so easy to prepare.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (70-85% dark)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until sugar has dissolved and mixture is pale.
- Slowly stir 1/3 cup of the warmed cream and milk into the egg yolks to temper them, whisking vigorously. Add more of the warm dairy to the egg mixture, 1/3 cup at a time, whisking well between additions. Add the mixture back to the large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until the custard has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Pour the custard over the chocolate and set aside for 5 minutes, until the chocolate has melted. Working quickly, whisk until smooth and well combined, and then whisk in the butter, salt, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour into serving dishes and enjoy warm, or cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour to serve cold. This pudding will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: chocolate, pudding, budino, dessert, Italian