Nothing fills the house with more Christmas cheer than the smell of these spiced chocolate gingerbread bars baking in the oven.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, and spray with a nonstick cooking spray on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, sour cream, and egg. Whisk just until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together just until combined. Don’t overmix. Add the chocolate chips and stir lightly.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and lightly smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes in pan before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Bars
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Christmas, gingerbread, chocolate, bars, cake