Easy homemade chocolate pudding made with luxe bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder is a cinch to make. It’s smooth and silky.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons high-quality Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 ounces finely chopped high-quality bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, and espresso powder if using. Add egg yolks and cream. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in milk until completely incorporated.
- Place saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture is thick, about 6 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Continue stirring while the mixture boils for about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter, chocolate, and vanilla. Whisk until melted and fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into desired serving cups or bowls. Allow to cool to room temperature. Add a layer of cling wrap directly to the surface of the pudding.
- Chill for at least 4 hours. Remove plastic and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: chocolate, pudding