There are endless layers of fun in this easy homemade chocolate trifle. It’s a dessert that’s a dream to make, and even easier to eat.
For the Cake:
- 1 15.25-oz. box chocolate cake mix (or two 8-inch cake rounds)
- Required ingredients for the cake, as listed on the box (eggs, oil, etc.)
For the Pudding:
- 1 5.1-oz. box chocolate pudding mix (or 3–3 1/2 cups pudding)
- Required ingredients for the pudding, as listed on the box (milk, etc.)
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Layers and Topping:
- 4 ripe medium bananas, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, shaved
- Make the cake, according to the directions on the box or your recipe of choice. Allow cake to cool completely before removing from the pans.
- Cut cake into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.
- Make the pudding, according to the directions on the box or your recipe of choice, while the cake is baking and cooling.
- To make the whipped cream, add heavy cream to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for about 4 minutes, until thickened. Add the sugar and vanilla, then continue to whisk until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the trifle, begin with 2 cups of chocolate cake cubes. Top with 1 1/2 cups chocolate pudding, and spread it evenly over the cake. Top with a layer of banana slices, then spread 1 cup whipped cream on top.
- Repeat these layers, finishing with whipped cream and a sprinkle of dark chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately, or place in the refrigerator until ready to serve, up to 3 hours.
- Category: Trifle
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: chocolate cake, trifle, whipped cream, banana