With the perfect balance of sweetness and spice, these simple citrus caramel roasted apples and pears are sure to please. Best served warm with ice cream.
- 3 firm Bosc pears, cored and halved
- 3 Fuji or McIntosh apples, cored and halved
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (12 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Zest of one lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Adjust oven rack to center and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add butter to a large baking dish, one that is large enough to fit all the pear and apple halves, while the oven is heating.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from the oven. Top with sugar, ground cinnamon, sea salt, and lemon zest. Whisk the mixture to combine.
- Add fruit cut side down on top of the sugar-butter mixture and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves to the sauce in the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the caramel sauce has deepened in color, thickened, and is bubbling.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves, and discard. Remove pan from the oven and turn fruit to coat with the sauce.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Slice the fruit, if you like, so everyone can enjoy both apples and pears. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking, Roasting
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: apple, pear, caramel, citrus, cinnamon, cloves