How do you get super fudgy brownies? We add pureed sweet potatoes to the batter for a rich and dense texture.
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sweet potato puree (from about 1 large sweet potato)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the top. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove pan from heat, and stir in the cocoa powder. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Add the sweet potato, sugar, egg, and vanilla to the cocoa and butter mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir gently, just until no traces of flour remain. Fold in the optional chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan, evenly smoothing the top with a spoon.
- Place in the oven and bake until the surface looks dry and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 15-20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: brownie, dessert, chocolate, sweet potato, holiday baking