With a tender, cakey exterior and a gooey, flowing center, chocolate lava cake is an indulgent dessert that can satisfy your strongest cravings.
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) room temperature unsalted butter, cubed, plus more for greasing
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60-75% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for coating
- Powdered sugar, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly grease 4 6-ounce ramekins with butter. Lightly dust with flour, and tap out any excess. Place the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Prepare a double boiler. Fill a medium pot a third of the way full with water and place on the stovetop over low heat. When the water begins to gently simmer and steam, place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over the pot, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not make contact with the water.
- Heat the chocolate and butter, stirring continuously, until they are completely melted and a smooth mixture forms, about 2-5 minutes. Remove the bowl from the pot and set aside.
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt until slightly thickened and pale, about 2-3 minutes.
- Gently whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until just incorporated. Then, whisk in the flour until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared ramekins. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the tops. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes look firm but the centers are still soft.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the ramekins to cool on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes.
- Working quickly, cover the top of one ramekin with a small dessert plate and quickly invert the ramekin onto the plate, using a kitchen towel or oven mitt to protect your hand. The cake should release easily from the ramekin. Repeat with the remaining cakes.
- Serve immediately while still hot with your preferred toppings. Cut into the middle of the cake to reveal the molten center!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: molten, lava, chocolate, cake