When you take your first bite of our old fashioned vanilla wafer banana cream pudding, you’re going to melt into a puddle of happiness.
For the Pudding:
- 2 cups mini vanilla wafer cookies
- 3 large bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Garnish:
- 1–2 large bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Mini vanilla wafers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch square glass baking dish with a single layer of vanilla wafers, and top with a layer of banana slices.
- To make the pudding, combine sugar with flour in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, then stir in 1/2 cup milk.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until light in color, then whisk them into the milk mixture. Add the remaining milk and butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Place over low heat and cook until butter has melted and mixture has thickened, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Immediately pour half of this mixture over the bananas and wafers in the baking dish.
- Add a layer of vanilla wafers and then a final layer of banana slices. Pour the rest of the pudding mixture on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Chill before serving, for at least 2 hours. Beat heavy cream with sugar on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Serve garnished with homemade whipped cream and banana slices.
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Custard
Keywords: banana cream, banana cream pudding, banana pudding, banana, vanilla wafers