- 4 eggs
- 4 tbs sugar
- 4 tbs hot water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups whipping cream
- 1 organic lemon unwaxed
- 1 organic lime unwaxed
- 3 tbs squeezed juice
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and hot water until smooth and fluffy.
- Carefully stir in the flour with the baking powder. Don’t overmix.
- Spread on the baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes. The sponge is ready when the surface is dry and yields to some pressure. The edges still need to be soft.
- Grate both fruits and squeeze the juice of half the lemon and half the lime. Whip the cream and stir in the zest and 3 tbs juice.
- Meanwhile, cover a countertop with a moist kitchen towel. Take the sponge out of the oven and turn it upside down onto the towel, still stuck to the parchment paper. Then carefully remove it.
- Spread the cream on the sponge. Leave ½ inch with no cream at the edges. Start with the long side and roll up with the help of your kitchen towel. You have to be careful that the sponge does not break when you start rolling. But do not despair when if th occurs. It may not be noticeable it in the finished product.
- If the edges of the rolled sponge look a bit uneven, you can cut a slice at both sides. This is a perfect way to have a tasting test for the impatient among us too.
- Place the roll onto a plate and dust with powdered sugar.
- Keep it cool until served.