Enjoy rhubarb paired with fresh strawberries in this easy-to-make crumble, the perfect homemade spring or summer dessert.
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- pinch salt
- 1 small orange, (about 1 tbsp zest and 3 tbsp juice)
- 1 pound strawberries, halved
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium saucepan, combine chopped rhubarb, ½ cup packed brown sugar, a pinch of salt, and the orange zest and juice. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the strawberries.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, and remaining brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the oats and toss with your fingers to distribute evenly.
- Spoon the rhubarb mixture into the bottom of an 8×8″ baking dish. Sprinkle the oatmeal mixture over the rhubarb. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the topping is brown and fragrant.
- Serve straight from the oven with vanilla ice cream on top.