If you’re looking for a versatile vegan sauce to drizzle over chips or toss with pasta, you’ll love our rich cashew cheezy sauce.
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (such as cashew), divided
- 1 cup hot water, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Fill a medium saucepot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the cashews. Turn off the heat, cover, and let the cashews soak for about 30 minutes. Drain and transfer the softened cashews to a high-speed blender or food processor. Place the pot back on the stove – we’ll use it again in a few minutes.
- To the blender, add the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, and paprika. Blend, dripping in a few tablespoons of hot water at a time, until a silky sauce forms. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary.
- Transfer to the saucepot and place it over medium-low heat. Whisk to keep the mixture creamy and smooth as it heats up. Once it begins to bubble slightly, slowly add more hot water as needed, a teaspoon or so at a time, until the sauce is thinned to your desired consistency.
- Serve as a dip for chips, veggies, or pretzels, or toss with pasta.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, cashew, cheese, sauce, dip