Dinner is on the table in half an hour with this quick dish where flaky tilapia and sweet white asparagus bake in zesty lemon butter.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound white asparagus, tough ends trimmed (or a mix of white and purple)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Zest of 1 large lemon (about 1 tablespoon), divided
- 4 6- to 8-ounce tilapia fillets
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat and give it time to fully heat up. When it comes to temperature, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add the asparagus and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Saute, tossing occasionally, until the asparagus are lightly charred, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, sprinkle the asparagus with half of the lemon zest, and toss to coat. Move the asparagus aside, or around the edges of the pan.
- Coat the center of the pan with the remaining oil, and season each side of the tilapia with the remaining salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Arrange the fish in a single layer in the pan and top each piece with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake until the fish is opaque and you’re able to easily flake the thickest part of the meat with a fork, about 8-12 minutes. Spoon the butter in the pan over the top of each fish fillet to baste it, and then drizzle the lemon juice on top.
- Arrange the fish and asparagus on a platter and drizzle the lemon butter over the top. Garnish with the lemon wedges and parsley and serve with roasted potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Fish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: tilapia, asparagus