Kick off cookout season right with this lobster tail and baby potato duo that’s grilled to perfection and drenched in herbed butter.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound new potatoes (about 12), halved
- 1/2 small sweet onion, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 8-ounce lobster tails, sliced lengthwise down the center
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, tarragon, parsley, chives, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Mash with a fork until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the herbed butter onto a sheet of wax paper, then shape into an inch-thick log by rolling the paper. Fold the end flaps under to seal the and then refrigerate (or freeze) until firm. Or, fill and freeze in your choice of butter molds.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high, about 350-400°F.
- Place the potatoes and onions in a large bowl. Season with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Toss together to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and place the seasoned potatoes and onions on top, leaving enough room to pull up the corners and enclose the packet.
- Slice a 1-inch piece off of the herbed butter, cut it into quarters, and scatter over the potatoes and onions.
- Fold up the corners of the foil to seal the package tightly.
- Place on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes, and then open the package and gently toss the potatoes to promote even cooking.
- While the potatoes are cooking, brush the lobster tails all over with the remaining olive oil and season the meat with the remaining salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes have cooked for 10 minutes, place the lobster tails meat side-down on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip the tails so the exposed meat is facing up.
- Place a generous pat of herbed butter on each tail. Cook until the meat is opaque and the shells are bright red, another 3-5 minutes. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part should read 140°F when it’s done.
- Cook the potatoes until knife-tender, about 20 minutes total. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary.
- Transfer the potatoes and lobster tails to a serving platter. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley. Serve immediately with extra herbed butter.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lobster
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: lobster tail, baby potatoes, onions, grill, butter