In this twist on a southern classic, crispy salmon and shiitakes are perched upon a perfectly creamy mountain of parmesan cheese grits.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken (or mushroom) broth
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided (about 1.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets, skin-on
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil and butter begin to sizzle, add the mushrooms and saute until golden brown and lightly crispy, about 2 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining butter. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in the grits and then cook over moderately low heat, whisking often, until the grits are thick and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Fold in the Parmigiano-Reggiano, heavy cream, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary. Keep warm on low heat while you prepare the salmon.
- Preheat the broiler to high and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly drizzle both sides of the salmon fillets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place each piece on the baking sheet skin side up.
- Broil until the skin is crisped and the salmon flakes easily, about 8-10 minutes. Divide the grits among plates and top with the salmon (crispy skin side up), sauteed shiitakes, fresh thyme, remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano, and remaining olive oil.
- Category: Fish
- Method: Stovetop/Broiler
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: salmon, broiled, shitake, grits