In this sweet, jelly-like pudding, cherries, raspberries, and strawberries tango with tapioca to create a delicious dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped or sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened black or tart 100% cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons Minute or instant tapioca
- Whipped cream, heavy cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Fresh red fruit, for garnish (optional)
- Mint sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepot over medium-high heat, add the cherries, strawberries, raspberries, cherry juice, vanilla, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is very soft and has begun to break down and release its juice. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a strainer or colander placed over a large bowl and allow it to drain, then set the fruit aside.
- Transfer the liquid back to the pot and add additional sugar to taste. Stir to combine.
- Whisk in the tapioca and set aside for 5 minutes. Return the pot to the stove. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat while stirring constantly, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally, until the liquid has gelled (or cook according to package instructions).
- Return the reserved fruit to the pot and fold in gently to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl or individual dishes.
- This dessert may be served warm or at room temperature. To chill before serving, cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with your choice of cream, fresh fruit, and a sprig of mint. Store leftover pudding in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pudding
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: berry, fruit, pudding, compote, strawberry, cherry, raspberry, tapioca, rote grutze