Hearty and versatile, these homemade cheddar buckwheat crackers are naturally nutty and get a hint of herby flavor from fresh rosemary.
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 2–3 teaspoons cold water (plus more if dough doesn’t come together)
- In a food processor, combine the cheddar, butter, flour, rosemary, black pepper, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly, and then slowly add in the water, 1 teaspoon at a time, pulsing in between each addition until the dough comes together. It should be uniform and not sticky.
- Dump the dough out onto a clean work surface and, using your hands, form it into 2 discs. Wrap the discs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on your work surface, then top it with one of the discs and another piece of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough so it is as thin as possible (about 1/16 inch) and then remove the top piece of parchment paper and set it aside.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into bite-size triangles about 1 1/2 inches per side, making sure to cut the crackers to uniform size so they bake evenly. Transfer the cracker-lined parchment paper to a baking sheet. Repeat this process with the other disc and then chill both sheets in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the baking sheets from the freezer and then slide the cracker-lined parchment papers off. Replace with the 2 pieces of parchment paper you set aside earlier. Gently pop off the triangles and place them (close, but not touching) onto the newly lined baking sheets.
- Using a paring knife or fork, prick the crackers in several spots. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bake until crispy, about 10-15 minutes, checking often and rotating the pans if necessary to promote even cooking.
- Allow the crackers to cool on the baking sheets before serving.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Crackers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Snacks
Keywords: rosemary, buckwheat, cracker, cheese, cheddar