A simple recipe for a creamy new way to enjoy your cabbage. You’ve never loved cabbage so much!
- 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 head cabbage
- 1/3 cup cooking sherry
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1–2 tablespoons butter (can substitute vegan margarine)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat until golden. While the onions cook, slice the cabbage into fine strips.
- When the onions are just about done, add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Add the cabbage, pour the sherry on top, and toss. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and let cook, stirring often, for another 10 minutes or so, until the cabbage starts to brown just a bit. It shouldn’t be sticking to the bottom at all during this time; if it does, lower the heat and add a bit more olive oil or sherry.
- When the cabbage is ready, it should be rather tender but have the tiniest bit of crunch, with a slight caramel flavor. Add the water, rice, and mushrooms. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. As the rice cooks, it may stick to the bottom a bit; just scrape it off and stir more often.
- When the rice is done, stir in the coriander and butter. Add the parmesan if desired. Eat!