The perfect tangy and creamy appetizer, riced cauliflower stuffed peppers are bursting with lemon zest, baked under layers of mozzarella. Get the recipe.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup ricotta cheese + 2 additional tablespoons, if desired
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided (or 2 ½ tsp dried)
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided (or 2 ½ tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ medium-sized head white cauliflower, grated (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, coat both peppers with 1 tablespoon olive oil (about ½ tablespoon each).
- Preheat oven, set to broil.
- Arrange peppers on their sides on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil for 6 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside on the pan to cool. Keep the broiler on.
- Add ricotta, 1 tablespoon each of parsley and basil, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a medium-sized bowl. Fold until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Add cauliflower to a saute pan and place over high heat. Cook for 1 minute, then add remaining olive oil. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat. Add remaining herbs and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and garlic to the same pan. Sweat for 30 seconds, then add tomatoes. Saute for 1 minute, then add black pepper and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Cut bell peppers in half vertically, and remove seeds and membrane. Place back on the baking sheet, cut sides up.
- Fold the cauliflower and the tomatoes into the ricotta mixture until fully incorporated. For a creamier consistency, add up to 2 additional tablespoons ricotta, if desired. Divide the mixture evenly between the pepper halves. Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Return baking sheet to the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: red pepper, cauliflower, tomato, ricotta, mozzarella,