Getting out of bed in the morning just got a whole lot easier with gluten-free chewy & fruity breakfast bars. This soft, flavorful handheld breakfast is stuffed with your favorite fruit preserves in the middle. They taste like a sweet treat, but are loaded with healthy ingredients to start your day off right. Read more.
- 2 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 6 cups water
- Butter, oil, or margarine for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup palm sugar, coconut sugar, or your choice of granulated sweetener
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour *
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup honey or agave syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup all-natural fruit preserves in your favorite flavor(s)
- In a large bowl, combine oats and water. Soak overnight, or for at least 8 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter, oil, or margarine.
- Place the palm sugar, ground flax, cinnamon, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Beat the egg in a medium-sized bowl. Add the honey, vanilla, and melted coconut oil, and stir to combine. Stir in the oats.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture into greased pan. Spread in an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until well set. Remove from oven and cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into 16 equally sized pieces. Place 8 pieces on a clean work surface and spread evenly with preserves. Place remaining bars on top.
If you’re not gluten free, you may substitute 1 cup all purpose flour for the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum.
- Category: Gluten-Free
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: gluten-free, breakfast bars, flourless, jelly, jam, fruit, preserves