A sweet and tangy quinoa dish flavored with almonds, summer squash, and sweet and sour ingredients like raisins and lemon juice makes for a complex flavor profile with a touch of spice and crunch.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped summer squash
- 1 small onion, diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 small green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 10 basil leaves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- Place a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add almonds and toast until fragrant and golden, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add squash, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and green pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the garlic cloves. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Transfer cooked vegetables, toasted almonds, and cooked quinoa to a large bowl.
- Stir in raisins, lemon juice, and basil until combined. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: quinoa, summer squash, basil, side dish, vegetarian, almonds