This is a classic, nutritious dish that’s full of flavor, which makes it the perfect comfort food. It’s fantastic as a side, and even better as a main course.
- 16 ounces dried kidney beans (or 4 15-oz cans)
- 4 quarts warm water (128 fl oz)
- 1 small red onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, or your choice of color, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 ripe Roma tomato, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Clean and rinse dried kidney beans, removing any debris.
- Soak in 4 quarts warm water for at least 8 hours before cooking.
- Reserve 11 cups of the water for cooking, and discard the rest. Rinse and drain beans, and set aside.
To Make Sofrito and Pressure Cook:
- Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a medium-sized saute pan, and place over medium heat. Saute for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup reserved water, bouillon cube, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set pan aside for 2 minutes.
- In either a stove-top or electric pressure cooker, add drained beans and 6 cups reserved water.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to pressure cooker. Stir. Secure lid and cook for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
To Cook Rice and Finish Dish:
- Meanwhile, coat a large, heavy pot with remaining vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add rice and salt.
- Saute rice for 2 minutes until slightly toasted, then add 4 cups water and mix well. When water starts to gently boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover rice and fluff thoroughly with a fork.
- Fold rice and beans together in the pot or in a large bowl, using a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Grains, Legumes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Side Dish
Keywords: rice, beans, beans and rice, kidney beans