Creamy and filled with fresh herbs, this carrot risotto will go with with anything you want to cook this week.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2.5 cups shredded carrots (approx. 1–1 1/4 lbs or 10 carrots)
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, cover, and keep at a simmer over low heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. Add carrots and stir with a wooden spoon until well coated. Add 1/2 cup warmed stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and honey.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until carrots are tender. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and carrots are just starting to brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the carrots to a bowl and set aside. Puree the rest with 3/4 cup warmed stock in a food processor or blender.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in the same pot that you caramelized the carrots in. Add the minced onion and thyme, and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add rice, and stir with a wooden spoon to coat completely.
- Stir in wine and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Continue to stir until liquid has evaporated almost completely, about 5 minutes. Add carrot puree and stir occasionally until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup broth and stir frequently until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process of adding stock and stirring often 4-5 times, until the rice is al dente. You may not need to use all of the stock.
- Fold in the reserved carrots, ricotta, 1/4 cup grated Pecorino, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and Pecorino before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Risotto
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Side Dishes
Keywords: risotto, carrot, side dish