Great as a healthy side dish or a vegan-friendly main dish with crumbled tofu, our quinoa fried “rice” is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- Place rinsed quinoa and water or broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes and then let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- If using, wrap tofu in a paper towel and place between two cutting boards. Place a heavy object, such as a book or full tea kettle, on the top cutting board to press out extra moisture. Set aside to press for 10 minutes while the quinoa is cooking.
- Once pressed, use a fork or potato masher to crumble the tofu. Set aside.
- Place a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the canola oil. Once oil is hot, add garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute, and then add crumbled tofu, if using. Saute for 3 minutes, or until tofu is warmed through.
- Add soy sauce and mixed vegetables to the wok and cook another 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are hot and softened.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to the wok and stir well to combine. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, quinoa, fried rice, tofu, mixed vegetables