Thanks to a wholesome boost from einkorn berries, this go-to salad with floral basil and honey-lemon dressing is deliciously nutritious.
- 1/2 cup einkorn berries
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head red leaf lettuce (about 6 ounces), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1/4 cup pea shoots (or substitute sprouts or microgreens), roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 4 tablespoons roasted salted sunflower seeds, divided
- 1 avocado, roughly cut into cubes, divided
- In a small saucepot over high heat, add 1 cup of water and the einkorn berries. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until all of the liquid is reduced and the einkorn is chewy, about 30-35 minutes.
- Bring the cooked berries to room temperature (or chill them in the fridge) and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt before adding them to the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, remaining salt, and pepper. Slowly stream in the olive oil, whisking to combine until the dressing is emulsified.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, basil, pea shoots, carrot ribbons, 2 tablespoons of the sunflower seeds, half of the avocado cubes, and the cooked einkorn berries. Several tablespoons at a time, pour the lemon-honey dressing over the salad, tossing to combine, until it is dressed to your liking.
- Divide the salad among bowls or plates and garnish with even portions of the remaining sunflower seeds and avocado cubes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: salad, einkorn berries, avocado, pea shoots