Celebrate the sweetness of fresh seasonal produce by making homemade Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. You’ll savor each spoonful. And this recipe can be enjoyed with or without an ice cream maker!
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, honey, and maple syrup. When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat down to low and add the cherries. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, until the syrup thickens and the fruit has infused it with flavor while giving the cherries a nice glaze.
- Remove from the heat and strain, reserving the syrup. Set aside to cool, then place the syrup and the cherries in the refrigerator in separate bowls to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chilled syrup mixture, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream and milk, and whisk to blend.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer–safe container, cover, and pop it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Place the cooled mixture in your ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Or, for a no-churn option without an ice cream maker: Mix for 5 minutes with a hand mixer, then place back in the freezer for 20 more minutes or up to 3 hours, depending on the temperature of your freezer. Repeat this process three or four times, until the ice cream has the thick, creamy texture you want.
- When the mixture has an airy and stiff texture (or about 2 minutes before it is done if using the machine method), add the chocolate and the cherries, and continue to churn/mix in until combined. Serve immediately for a soft-serve style dessert or place back in the freezer until firm, for 2-4 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, if it is too firm to get your scoop in there, set it on the counter to thaw for a few minutes.
Adapted from Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book.
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Freezer, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Desserts
Keywords: ice cream, cherry, chocolate, frozen dessert, summer