Love ice cream sandwiches? Try our homemade version with soft and chewy chocolate cookies. They’re easily customized with your favorite ice cream.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 quarts ice cream, your choice of flavor
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together by hand the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Transfer to the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the softened butter until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add the egg and continue mixing on low speed until a thick dough forms, another 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
- Scoop out mounds of dough measuring 2 tablespoons each and gently roll by hand into even balls. Place 10 balls on each prepared baking sheet, setting them approximately 2 inches apart from each other.
- Refrigerate the dough uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, until completely hardened. While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Once chilled, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. They will still be very soft, but will continue to set out of the oven. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Place the cookies with the bottoms facing up in two rows on a clean work surface. Place large scoops of ice cream measuring about 3/4 cup each on one row of cookies, making sure they are about the same diameter as the cookie. Top the ice cream with the remaining row of cookies, pressing down slightly to make a cohesive sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm, for about one hour. Individually wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap and store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Frozen Dessert
Keywords: ice cream sandwich, chocolate, cookie