It’s time to go back to the good old days with this rich, creamy, and indulgent strawberry walnut chocolate chunk ice cream recipe. Grab a spoon and dig in.
- 3 cups strawberries, tops removed (about 16 ounces)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3–1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (or chips)
- 1/3–1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Add strawberries to a blender or food processor. Puree until the mixture is smooth and no big chunks remain. You should have 1 cup of pureed strawberries total. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and heavy cream to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a rolling simmer.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining sugar until combined. Add approximately 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking as you slowly pour it in. Continue to add the milk mixture ¼ cup at a time, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the egg and milk mixture back to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and strawberry puree.
- Add custard to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill until the custard is cold, about 2 hours.
- Add mixture to ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- During the last 5 minutes of churning, add walnuts, chocolate, and coconut.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Chill in the freezer for about 4 hours.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry, walnut, chocolate, frozen dessert