Finally, the perfect vegan vanilla ice cream you can make right at home. It’s rich, creamy, luscious, and only six ingredients.
- 2 13-ounce cans coconut cream
- 1/2 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- Prepare your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Open the cans of coconut cream. Reserve about 1/2 cup of liquid from the coconut cream and place in a separate small bowl. Mix together the rest of the coconut cream, sugar, and salt in a 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan. The mixture will look lumpy.
- Warm the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely dissolved into the coconut milk and the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the bowl with the reserved 1/2 cup coconut liquid to make a smooth slurry.
- While whisking constantly, gradually pour the cornstarch mixture into the warm coconut milk.
- Continue cooking on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the base has thickened just enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 6 to 8 minutes. Do not overcook, and do not allow the base to come to a boil.
- Remove the base from the heat and stir in the vanilla and vanilla bean seeds.
- Transfer the mixture from the hot pot to a heatproof bowl. Let the base cool completely at room temperature, stirring occasionally. You can place the bowl over a bigger bowl of ice to make this process faster. Once it has cooled completely, transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 1 day.
- When ready to churn, remove the base from the refrigerator and pour into the ice cream maker. Churn the ice cream until it thickens to about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, about 10-25 minutes. Do not let it become entirely frozen.
- Transfer the ice cream into a clean airtight container. Place a piece of parchment or wax paper against the surface of the ice cream to prevent ice crystals. Seal the container with the lid, and freeze for about 2 hours to fully harden the ice cream.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, ice cream, dessert, summer, coconut cream, cornstarch