An easy and satisfying recipe for those looking to try their first Indian dish. Full of flavor but not too heavy on the spice, this is a delicious way to get some healthy brown rice and lentils into your diet.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4–1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp roasted curry powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 3 small yellow potatoes, diced
- 2 japanese eggplants, diced
- 2 cups dry brown rice
- 1/2 cup whole green lentils
- 6–7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Warm the olive oil in a medium sized try-ply stock pot (or something similar) over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent. Lower heat to medium and add the tomato puree and spices, then cook while stirring constantly for about 4 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Stir in the diced potatoes and eggplants, the brown rice, and the lentils. Add 6 cups of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 45 minutes, until the rice and lentils are soft.
- Give the pot a good stir and add some more water if needed. You want it to be just a tiny bit soupy. Add the frozen peas and cook another 5 minutes or so until they are fully warmed through. Finally stir in the garam masala, then serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Indian food, dal, garam masala, vegan, curry, brown rice, lentils, gluten-free