This carrot, rainbow chard, and red potato dal is a healthy vegan meal packed with warming spices. Made in just one pan, you’re going to love this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons avocado, canola, or coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and torn roughly
- 2 large red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- Add oil to a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cook while stirring constantly until spices are fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add sliced onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and cook until starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Swiss chard and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, red lentils, and water or stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then stir constantly for 1 minute while continuing to cook.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through and lentils are very tender. Enjoy immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Category: Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: dal, Indian, carrot, rainbow chard, red potato, lentil