An easy recipe for baked taquitos with homemade slow-cooked black beans and charred poblano peppers.
For the Slow- Cooked Black Beans:
- 1/2 lb (about 1 heaping cup) dry black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp salt
For the Taquitos:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 small (2 medium) poblano peppers
- 2 Tbsp-ish canola oil
- sour cream, vegan or otherwise, optional
- salsa, for serving, optional
For the Slow-Cooked Black Beans:
- Combine all the ingredients for the beans except the salt and cook on low for 6 hours. When done, the beans should be nice and tender, and the skins should peel back a bit when you blow on them.
- Turn the slow-cooker off and stir in the salt – 1 tsp if you just want to eat the beans, 1 1/2 if you are planning on making the taquitos. Let the beans sit and soak in the salt for 30 minutes.
For the Taquitos:
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Measure out 2 cups of drained black beans. Place in a medium skillet and mash with a potato masher until only some small chunks remain.
- Push the beans to the side of the pan and add the 2 Tbsp olive oil to the center. Turn the heat to medium and let the oil warm up (just about 30 seconds or so). When the oil is hot, begin to stir the beans into the oil until it is all homogeneous. The beans should get nice & creamy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the tops and seeds of the poblano peppers (wear gloves if you are sensitive to the heat!). Cut them in half, then slice into about 1 cm wide strips.
- In another pan, heat a bit of olive oil and toss in the poblanos. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until they begin to blister and blacken.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat. Add the tortillas one at a time and cook, flipping once, until hot & pliable. Remove the tortilla to a plate and spread with about 2 Tbsp of the beans, top with a small handful of the peppers, and roll it up. Set it on a greased baking sheet and brush with a bit of the canola oil.
- Repeat for all the tortillas, placing them an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until they are nice and golden on the edges. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours 25 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: slow cooker, black beans, poblano, taquitos, gluten-free, vegan, mexican, weeknight