Nothing wakes up the taste buds like a sizzling skillet. These chicken fajitas are customizable, colorful, and exploding with flavor.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Juice of 2 limes, plus more limes for serving
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color), cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into strips
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons olive oil, the juice of 2 limes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, and paprika.
- Add the chicken to a large resealable bag and carefully pour the marinade over the top. Seal the bag, and make sure the marinade is evenly distributed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 20 minutes before you’re ready to cook.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Remove the chicken strips from the marinade, shaking gently to remove excess liquid, and cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan to remove any leftover marinade.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the peppers and onions and saute, tossing frequently, until the veggies begin to char, about 3-5 minutes. Season the veggies with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, turn the heat down to low, and add the chicken back to the pan. Cook, tossing frequently, for an additional minute, until all of the flavors have thoroughly combined.
- Serve the chicken and veggies directly out of the pan while it’s still sizzling, with the warmed tortillas, lime wedges, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and salsa on the side.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Fajitas
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken, fajita, pepper