These Mexi-bowls are loaded with your favorite protein, rice, beans, peppers, and a variety of toppings to keep things interesting and fresh.
For the Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Bowls:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups cooked black beans (rinsed and drained, if using canned)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, beef, or pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and reheated
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice, reheated
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite salsa (homemade or store bought)
For the Toppings:
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapenos
- Shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
- Add all ingredients for the spice mix to a small bowl. Stir together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add yellow onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and black beans. Cook until everything is warmed through, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chopped meat to a medium bowl with the spice mix. Toss to coat the meat evenly.
- Divide rice, black beans, meat, and salsa between four bowls, layering them in this order.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Rice Bowl
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: rice, burrito bowl, beans