Homemade chorizo infused with smoky, fiery, slightly sweet spices joins up with crispy potatoes in these craveworthy tacos.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola
- 12 corn tortillas (or flour), warmed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- Lime wedges
- Salsa and sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan over high heat, cover the potatoes with at least a few inches of cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and coarsely mash the potatoes.
- Add the pork, garlic, chipotle peppers in adobo, 3 teaspoons salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, cloves, oregano, and vinegar to a large bowl. Gently massage the spices into the pork.
- Add the potatoes, and knead delicately into the chorizo, leaving some visible chunks intact.
- Add the oil to a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and wait for it to shimmer. Working in batches so you get an even sear, add the chorizo-potato mixture in an even layer with the remaining teaspoon of salt. Cook undisturbed until a crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn the mixture in sections and continue cooking until evenly browned and cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Set the cooked portions aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To assemble the tacos, top each warmed tortilla with a scoop of the potato-chorizo mixture and garnish with a generous portion of cilantro and onions. Serve with lime wedges, salsa, and sour cream.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chorizo, potato, taco