Turn up the volume on your veggie tacos. Crunchy peppers, onions, and earthy shiitakes explode with spices in these flavorful handhelds.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (seasoning blend), divided
- 2 cups stemmed, thinly sliced shiitakes
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced poblano pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes, lime wedges, and sliced jalapenos (optional garnishes)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Whisk and toast the spices until very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and toss to coat with the oil and spices. Saute until golden brown and lightly crispy, about 2 minutes. Season them with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and swirl to coat the pan, then add 1 teaspoon cumin and the remaining garlic powder and chili powder. Whisk and toast the spices again until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the yellow peppers, poblano peppers, and red onions. Toss to coat the veggies in the spices, then saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Season the veggies with 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining pepper, and set them aside with the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sour cream, lime juice, cayenne, and cilantro.
- Warm the tortillas on a flat-top grill or in a dry pan over medium heat (or hold them over an open flame on a gas grill) until lightly charred around the edges.
- To assemble, top each warm tortilla with a dollop of the sour cream mixture and a portion of the spiced veggies. Top with even amounts of shredded cheese and lettuce. Serve with your choice of additional toppings, such as chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, and lime wedges.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: bell pepper, poblano pepper, mushroom, vegetarian, taco