These vegan tacos are made with fresh produce and a cashew-based chipotle sauce that is deliciously creamy, with no dairy. This spicy sauce perfectly tops tacos, scrambles, burgers, and more!
For the Sauce:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 Tbsp adobo sauce, from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch salt, plus more to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
For the Tacos:
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4″ strips
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 7 thick asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 4 thick flour tortillas (use corn if GF)
- 2 handfuls spinach
For the Vegan Chipotle Cashew Sauce:
- Heat the water until just simmering. Add the cashews and let soak at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Put the cashews and their water in a blender and blend on medium for about 30 seconds, then turn up to high. Blend until the sauce no longer feels gritty between your fingers.*
- Add the chipotle adobo sauce (add peppers only if you want it very spicy!) and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend until incorporated, then add salt to taste.
For the Grilled Veggie Tacos:
- Combine all the chopped veggies in a grill basket. Grill over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until lightly charred, tossing frequently.
- Heat the tortillas in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds per side, or until very warm and supple.
- To assemble, place a bit of spinach into a warmed tortilla, then top with some grilled veggies and finish with the chipotle sauce.
If you don’t have a premium blender, I’d suggest blending only for 1 minute at a time to avoid burning it out. If needed, turn your blender off for 2-3 minutes, then continue blending.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, tacos, tex-mex