Our recipe for soaked spelt flour berry muffins is a great place to start if you want to learn a new baking technique: soaking whole grain flour.
For the Muffins:
- 1 3/4 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/8 cup gently packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- The day before baking, soak the flour. Whisk together the warm water and yogurt, then stir to combine with the spelt flour until a very thick paste forms. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to a container with an airtight lid and let stand at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Make the crumble topping by whisking together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Add the melted butter and mix together with a sturdy spoon or your hands to form large crumbles. Set aside.
- Transfer the soaked flour mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the egg, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt to the flour mixture. Mix at medium-high speed until a thoroughly combined homogenous mixture forms, about one minute.
- Fill each cup of the prepared muffin pan about 3/4 of the way full with the batter. Evenly divide and scatter the blueberries and chopped strawberry pieces on top of the batter. Evenly divide the crumble mixture on top of the berries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned and puffy.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: muffin, blueberry, spelt flour, crumble