Studded with sweet chocolate chips, these nutty rye and einkorn flour pancakes are a perfectly delicious way to start your morning.
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup full-fat buttermilk (or plain kefir)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter), to coat the pan
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rye flour, einkorn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, whole milk, vanilla, maple syrup, egg, and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Gently stirring and folding as you pour, add the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not overmix the batter – some lumps are okay.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Allow the batter to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat a large heavy skillet (or electric griddle) over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil or butter and swirl to coat the pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the prepared skillet. Cook until small bubbles form on the surface, approximately 2-3 minutes, and then flip the pancake and cook until the other side is golden brown, about 1 additional minute.
- Place the cooked pancakes on a baking sheet or wire rack, and keep warm in the oven while you continue with the remaining batter. Add additional coconut oil or butter to the pan as needed. Serve warm with additional butter and maple syrup as desired.
Adapted from Naturally Ella and A Cozy Kitchen.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pancakes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: pancake, einkorn, chocolate chip, rye, breakfast