Our favorite pancake recipe from lots of trial and error! Fluffy yet filling, the mix of whole-grain ingredients will keep you satisfied all morning. Fresh fruit brings these to the next level!
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 Tbsp vegan powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heaping 1/2 cup fresh or frozen and defrosted fruit (I like chopped strawberries or blueberries)
- Combine the ground flax and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg. Set aside to thicken.
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a pitcher-style measuring cup to make a vegan buttermilk substitute, and set aside.
- Add the flours, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a medium bowl. Sift once, or stir vigorously with a whisk for about 2 minutes.
- Add the melted margarine, flax egg, and vanilla to a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the milk mixture and stir to combine. Pour the dry ingredients over top and stir until just combined. If you are using fresh fruit, you can go ahead and gently fold it in now. Otherwise, add a few pieces to each pancake as soon as you pour the batter onto the griddle.
- Set batter aside for about 5 minutes to thicken. While the batter rests, place your griddle or a large frying pan over medium-low heat and grease liberally. If the batter seems to thick can add a bit of water, but be careful not to over-mix.
- Drop 1/3 cup batter onto the preheated griddle or skillet. It should sizzle a bit, then calm down. Cook until the edges are cooked and the bottom is golden-brown. Flip and cook a few more minutes until golden.
- Serve with a generous amount of margarine, maple syrup, and powdered sugar on top!
You can replace the margarine with canola oil if desired. I usually do this when I am feeling lazy and don’t want to melt the margarine. The pancakes will be slightly less delicious, though.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: pancakes, vegan, light, fluffy, best