Are you on the hunt for a healthy meal with lots of flavor? For a lightened up pasta dinner, this angel hair with braised kale is a tasty and easy option.
For the Pasta:
- 1 lb kale (about 2 bunches)
- 1 medium onion
- 8 large cloves garlic (or to taste)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb angel hair pasta
For the Lemon Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest + more for serving
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 1/2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese + more for serving
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Remove ribs and stems from the kale. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Rinse and drain; set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. You should have about 1 1/2 cups in total.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large, heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add sliced garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add kale and remaining tablespoon olive oil and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue cooking until kale is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding water by teaspoonfuls if dry, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a medium-sized pot of boiling salted water until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, cream, and reserved pasta water. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooked pasta and lemon sauce to the kale mixture. Toss to combine.
- Serve garnished with additional lemon zest and Parmesan cheese as desired.
Adapted from Molly Wizenberg, Bon Appétit, October 2009.
Keywords: kale, angel hair, lemon, lightened-up