Shake things up on pasta night with baked penne made with chicken sausage, zucchini, and feta. It’s a healthier option that the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 1/2 cups (about 213 grams) uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 6 ounces chicken sausage, casings removed and roughly crumbled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced and quartered zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 6 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place penne in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- While pasta cooks, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Once oil is hot, add crumbled sausage to skillet and cook until starting to brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Return the same skillet to medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon oil. Once oil is hot, add zucchini, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until zucchini is softened, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together flour and chicken broth. Add mixture to the pan, stir, and cook another 2 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
- Add zucchini, cooked sausage, cottage cheese, and about half of the feta to the mixing bowl with the pasta. Stir well to combine.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking oil spray. Pour pasta mixture in the pan. Sprinkle reserved feta on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and pasta is lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Casserole
Keywords: penne, whole wheat, zucchini, feta, casserole