Craving a satisfying pasta dish? Our medley of juicy grilled chicken, tender asparagus, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes hits the spot.
- 1 12-ounce box farfalle pasta
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 1/2-3 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 cup basil pesto
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Grated parmesan or pecorino Romano, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, preheat a grill or grill pan to a level between medium and medium-high heat, around 400°F.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breasts with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Place the asparagus in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the remaining salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place the chicken on the grill or grill pan and cook on one side for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Using clean tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer on the grill or grill pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred, about 4-5 minutes depending on their thickness.
- While the chicken is resting and the asparagus is cooking, cook the pasta until al dente, according to package instructions.
- Before draining, reserve 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the noodles, and return them to the pot off the heat. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Slice the chicken and asparagus on a cutting board into bite-size pieces and add them to the pot with the pasta. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and reserved pasta water.
- Toss to combine. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat on medium-low and stir occasionally until everything is warm, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the pesto. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, garnish with basil if using, and serve immediately with grated parmesan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken, pesto, pasta, grilled, basil, asparagus, sun-dried tomato