Our weeknight spaghetti Bolognese is a super flavorful version of the classic Italian meat sauce that’s easy to make for your family in just 40 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef (80 to 85% lean)
- 1/2 pound mild or spicy ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 15-ounce can diced San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti (or other long noodle of your choice)
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrot and celery and cook for about 2 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add beef, sausage, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until meat is browned, about 5 minutes, breaking up any chunks with a spoon. Add red wine and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the wine has cooked down a bit, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste and tomato puree. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Stir in sugar until incorporated well and taste. Season with additional salt, pepper, and sugar as needed. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. When the water is boiling, add the pasta. Cook according to directions on the package, and drain.
- Combine the sauce with the cooked pasta in the pot before serving, or ladle sauce over pasta in individual bowls.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian, bolognese, spaghetti, pasta, meat sauce, ragu